Barrington Middle School
The school has been recognized for years as among the top middle schools in the country for its performance on standardized tests, instruction, special education-inclusion model, hands-on science, scheduling, and "looping," according to Principal Richard K. Wheeler Jr. Looping involves having the same teachers teach the same students for two years to provide a continuity in instruction that is seen as highly beneficial to their development. The school, in fact, is noted for being a classic "team-teaching school" where students learn in nine clusters -- three per grade. Students are not grouped by ability, however, except for math. Instead, teachers and administrators rank students according to more than a dozen criteria so each cluster is as identical in student make-up as possible. For certain courses, like algebra, exceptional students are not held to certain grades. They are bussed to the high school for that learning opportunity.
- Fax: 401-247-3164
- Hours: 7:45 am to 2:05 pm; office, 7 am to 3:15 pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1979
- Number of students: 778
- Male-to-female ratio: 407:371
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: No
- Accreditation/licenses: New England League of Middle Schools "Spotlight School"
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 25:1
- Parking: Free lot
- How engaged is the school with the community?: More than 90 percent of parents are involved in some volunteer capacity with the school.
- Grade levels: 6-8
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Wide array of enrichment activities based on student interest
- Student clubs: Variety of clubs ranging from robotics to chess to dance
- Sports teams: Include baseball, field hockey, lacrosse, tennis, wrestling and cross-country