The Barrington School Committee meets Thursday evening, Oct. 17, with another look at the most recent NECAP scores in science back on the agenda.
The meeting starts at 7:30 pm in the School Committee Room in Town Hall.
Barrington students showed a “statistically significant” decrease in proficiency in science over the past year, according to the most recent test New England Common Assessment Program scores released by the RI Department of Education on Sept. 23. Students in grades 4, 8 and 11 took the tests last May.
Barrington shows a proficiency rate of 65.6 percent on the NECAP science test for 2013. That proficiency rate is 6.7 percent lower than in 2012 although 2.6 percent higher than five years ago.
The score also shows Barrington as one of four districts in RI with the “statistically significant” decrease in proficiency from a year earlier.
The most recent scores also shows Barrington dropping to second best in Rhode Island behind East Greenwich, which scored at a 67.4 percent proficiency rate.
Here is the complete agenda for Thursday’s meeting:
BARRINGTON SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING
283 County Road
October 17, 2013
A. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (approx. 7:30 – 7:32 p.m.)
B. ACHIEVEMENT RECOGNITION (approx. 7:32 – 7:35 p.m.)
C. BPS SPOTLIGHT ON TEACHING AND LEARNING (approx. 7:35 – 8:00 p.m.)
D. INFORMATION AND PROPOSALS (approx. 8:00 – 8:30 p.m.)
1. Science NECAP Scores
2. Evaluation of Programs
E. GENERAL PUBLIC DISCUSSION AND INFORMATION (approx. 8:30 – 8:40 p.m.)
F. OLD BUSINESS (approx. 8:40 – 9:10 p.m.)
Superintendent and Staff
1. All-Day Kindergarten Task Force
2. Building Committee Update
3. Superintendent Evaluation
4. Governance Workshop Scheduling
5. Policy Second Reading and Approval – Appeals Policy
6. Policy Second Reading and Approval – Diploma Waiver Policy
7. Policy Second Reading and Approval – Free and Reduced-Price Meals and/or Free Milk Policy
G. NEW BUSINESS (approx. 9:10 – 9:40 p.m.)
Superintendent and Staff
HS, Talon Advisor
HS, Assistant Coach Girls Basketball, (Head JV)
HS, Head Coach Boys Lacrosse
HS, Robotics Club Advisor
2. Approval of Request for Home Schooling
3. Teacher Evaluation Report
1. Technology Device Allocation for Central Office Administrators and Curricula Delivery
2. Barrington School Committee December 2013 Forum with Barrington High School Class of 2013
H. DECISION ITEMS (approx. 9:40 – 9:42 p.m.)
1. Consent Agenda
Monthly Expenditures for September $2,305,986.58
I. DISCUSSION ITEMS (approx. 9:42 – 9:50 p.m.)
1. Discussion Future Agenda Items
2. General Discussion to Guide Future Recommendations
J. GENERAL PUBLIC DISCUSSION AND INFORMATION (approx. 9:50 – 10:00 p.m.)
EXECUTIVE SESSION (approx. 10:00 – 10:30 p.m.) Pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws Section 42-46-5(a)(3) for discussion regarding school buildings security issues.