A public hearing on the proposed abandonment of a paper street in Barrington’s Hampden Meadows neighborhood and a proposed agreement for the future operation of the Bay Spring Community Center head the agenda of the Town Council tonight, Oct. 7.
The monthly meeting starts at 6:30 pm in the Council Chamber in Town Hall with interviews of candidates for reappointment to the Housing Board of Trustees. The rest of agenda will be dealt with starting at 7 pm.
The paper street is “Stella Road,” a right of way that sits between Oak Grove Drive and Charles Street. It runs from Sowams Road to the Palmer River and covers about 32,000 square feet.
The street actually abuts land owned by Femiun Mezini, who would like to have the land forfeited to him so he could sell it to abutters for $1 a square foot. He has plans to build a house on a lot at 307 Sowams Road and wants to situate the home so it has the least impact on his neighbors. He said he can do that best with the abandonment and it also avoids a setback issue.
At last two town councilors seemed opposed to the abandonment at the Sept. 7 meeting, when it was introduced. They believe the land should not be given away.
The proposed agreement for the Bay Spring Community Center on Narragansett Avenue would create a public-private partnership between Barrington and the Friends of the Bay Spring Community Center.
The agreement would take advantage of the nonprofit group’s experience in event planning and production, marketing and fundraising and its range of artistic and cultural skills and interests while working closely with the Barrington recreation director, the Parks and Recreation Commission and the Department of Public Works to maintain the building.
The Town Council voted 5-0 to ask Town Manager Peter DeAngelis Jr. to draft the agreement to be voted on tonight.
Here is the complete agenda for the meeting:
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
MONDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2013 @ 6:30 P.M.
COUNCIL CHAMBER, TOWN HALL
1. Call to Order
2. Interview(s): Housing Board of Trustees (Reappointments)
• Steve Martin
• Michael Winitsky
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Discuss and Act on Council Policies and Procedures Including Resolutions and Ad Hoc Committees (Continued from July 15, 2013)
5. Announcement(s): (NOT BEFORE 7:00 PM)
• Proclamation: Pancreatic Cancer Awareness November 2103
• Affordable Housing Workshop, Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at Barrington High School from 7:00 – 9:00 P.M.
• Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
• Community Document Shredding to be held at the Department of Public Works on Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 9:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
• Barrington Ranked Among Rhode Island’s Least Violent Communities
• Housing Board of Trustees
7. *Adopt Town Council Minutes of September 3 and 23, 2013 and Sealed Executive Minutes of September 23, 2013
8. *Utility Petitions
9. *Monthly Department Reports: Fire Chief, Police Chief/Animal Control Official
(not available this month), Building Official, Public Works Director, Town Planner, Town Solicitor, Finance Director, Tax Assessor, Senior Services Director, Library Director, Barrington Adult Youth Team Coordinator, Recreation and Leisure Services Director and Town Clerk
10. *Abatement List
11. *Surplus Property
12. *Private Detective License Renewal – William S. Conti
13. *14th Annual Turkey Trot Request from St. Luke’s School
14. Public Comment (two minute statement) - To the public: This agenda item is for members of the public to speak regarding a topic that is not already on the agenda. Please indicate that you would like to speak by raising your hand. When you are recognized, please approach the microphone in front of the Council.
15. Transfer of Victualing and Holiday License: Sweet Addictions, LLC – Adrianna Correia
16. Bristol County Water Authority Report – Bradford Louison
17. Discuss and Act on Request Regarding Municipal Streetlight Proposal
18. Discuss and Act on Bay Spring Community Center Agreement
19. PUBLIC HEARING:
• Abandonment of a Portion of a Paper Street, the “Stella Road” Right of Way, Located between Oak Grove Drive and Charles Street.
• Ordinance #2013-9 4–Way Stop Sign at Cold Spring and Winthrop Road North and South
21. Discuss and Act on Funding Title Searches Regarding Private Docks on Public Land
22. Discuss and Act on Applicability of Noise Ordinance to Generators
23. Discuss National Flood Insurance Program
• Kathy Cadigan - Committee on Appropriations
• Kelley Torrey - Board of Assessment Review
25. Set Agenda for November 4, 2013 Council Meeting