Barrington firefighters extinguished a blaze at an Acre Avenue home early Sunday evening, Sept. 8, caused by a propane gas grill.
The grill apparently “flared up” and ignited the siding on the home at 71 Acre Ave. at approximately 5:45 p.m., according to Barrington Fire Lt. Ed Owens.
“Arriving companies had heavy smoke and fire showing from the rear of the home,” Owens said.
One person was transported to Rhode Island Hospital by Barrington EMTs with non-life threatening injuries, he said.
The fire was extinguished in about an hour, Owens said. An East Providence engine company provided coverage of the Federal Street fire headquarters until Barrington was back in service under the mutual aid agreement with the department.
About two hours later, firefighters were called to a report of a fire at 86 Ferry Lane. The fire was extinguished by the homeowner before firefighters arrived.
An investigation determined that the homeowner was using a liquid wood finish for a woodworking project, said Owens. He disposed of the rags soaked in the finish in a trash can in his home workshop.
“The rags spontaneously combusted, igniting the trash can,” he said.
The blaze did not spread to the workshop, Owens said.
The fire was the second one this summer caused by spontaneous combustion of rags saturated with a wood-finishing product, he said.
“Special care should be used when dealing with oil-soaked rags to avoid these types of fire,” the lieutenant said.