Monday, Jan. 20, is Martin Luther King Jr. Day -- a federal holiday to commemorate the renowned civil rights leader’s life and leadership to combat racial discrimination in America.
The holiday, often referred to as MLK Day, is always the third Monday in January, which occurs right around King’s birthday on Jan. 15.
As a federal holiday, it means that all government offices, the schools, and the library are closed.
Many businesses will close for the day; but many won’t. Most retail and all convenience stores will be open, for instance.
Here is a short list of what is closed and open today.
- All federal, state and Barrington town offices, the town hall, the schools, the library, and the senior center are closed today.
- Most banks are closed; TD Bank is open, and Citizens Bank will open its grocery store branches.
- Retail stores, including markets and liquor stores are open, although they may have different hours. Check with individual merchants.
- Post offices are closed and there is no mail delivery.
- RIPTA will operate on its holiday schedule.