One thing seems certain: Barrington’s annual Festival of Lights on Saturday, Dec. 7, will shine brighter than ever.
New LED lights – 18,000 of them – are replacing the 2,000 bulbs that adorned the pine tree in front of Town Hall in years past.
The new lights have been strung on the maple trees in front of Town Hall as well as the pine tree, said Michele Geremia, Barrington's recreation and leisure services director.
“The lights should surprise everyone,” Geremia said.
Of course, the festival will include much more than the annual tree lighting in front of Town Hall, she said. Here is the schedule of activities that run most of the afternoon:
- Trolley Tours ~ 1 to 5 PM
- Children’s Holiday Movies – Library ~ 2 & 3:30
- Verizon Wireless * Reindeer Craft ~ 2 to 3
- Barrington Preservation Museum Arts & Crafts – Library Basement ~ 2 to 4:30
- Verizon Wireless Android * Picture Taking Opportunity ~ 3 to 4:30
- Holiday Train Rides ~ 3 – 4:30
- Arts and Crafts ~ 3 – 4:30
- Free Hot Chocolate * Sponsor: Verizon Wireless ~ 3 - 4:30
- Holiday Music * YMCA van ~ 3 – 5:30
- Food Trucks ~ 3 – 5:30
- Wreaths for sale by BHS Chorus ~ 3 – 5
- Luminaries for sale ~ 4 – 5:30
- Santa Arrives by Fire Truck * Hampton Meadows Volunteer Fire Company ~ 4:15
- Barrington Theatre Group Performs ~ 4:15 – 4:35
- Arts Alive! Dance Performance ~ 4:35 – 5
- Barrington HS Choral Ensemble ~ 5 – 5:20
- Barrington Middle School – A Cappella Group ~ 5:20 –5:45
- Tree Lighting ~ 5:30
If you want to extend your Saturday, drive on over to the Bay Spring Community Center for a Local Brew Coffeehouse at 7 pm featuring “The Gnomes.” It will be preceded by an artisan craft show that starts at 6 pm and runs until the concert begins.
Sponsors for the Festival of Lights in addition to the recreation department include the Barrington Business Association, the Bayside YMCA, the Barrington Public Library, Verizon Wireless, and the Hampton Meadows Volunteer Fire Company.
See the video for a glimpse at the festival last year.