Drop off a coat. Pick one up on Black Friday. You'll just have to find a place other than the Bayside YMCA this year.
Construction of the new facility has put space at a premium for the annual Buy Nothing Day Winter Coat Exchange at the Bayside Y. But there are several other local spots to make the exchange.
The exchange sites will be open from 10 am to 2 pm.
Breed Hall in East Providence, the Senior Center facility, is one spot. Another is the Newman YMCA in Seekonk.
Would you rather drive south? The Bristol Elks Lodge at 1 Constitution St. is exchanging coats on Black Friday.
Here is the complete list on the East Bay or in Providence:
- Breed Hall, East Providence, 610 Waterman Ave.
- Newman YMCA, Seekonk, 472 Taunton Ave.
- Bristol Elks Lodge, 1 Constitution St., Bristol
- State House Lawn, Providence
- East Side/Mt. Hope YMCA, Providence, 438 Hope St.
- YMCA of Greater Providence, Providence, 371 Pine St.
- Blackstone Valley Visitors Center, Pawtucket, 175 Main St.
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church, Newport, 12 West Marlborough St.
- St. Francis Church, Wakefield, 114 High St.
Do you have a coat that is still very wearable that you don’t want anymore? Your children probably do.
Also, there is someone out there who can surely use the coats taking up space in the back of your closets.
The coat exchange is actually more than coats. You can find jackets, sweaters, fleece, hoodies, hats, gloves, and scarves. Most coat exchange sites have been accepting donations since Nov. 1.
Buy Nothing Day started in Canada about 15 years ago. It’s a counter-shopping day on Black Friday. In Rhode Island, that usually means coat exchanges.