Here are some things to know about today, Jan. 8, in and around Barrington:
- Mainly sunny and not as cold with a high temperature of around 25 degrees.
- The 12th annual J. P. Medeiros Jr. Memorial Hockey Cup game between the boys' teams from Barrington and Mt. Hope high schools to benefit a scholarship fund named in his honor starts at 6:30 pm at the Portsmouth Abbey ice rink.
- The hockey cup game at Portsmouth Abbey will be preceded by a matchup of the Barrington/Mt. Hope/Portsmouth Co-op girls’ hockey team and the Narragansett/North Kingstown/South Kingstown Co-op team at 5 pm.
- The Friends of the Barrington Public Library are offering some very special books for purchase directly from the library's book sorting room. Leave your name and telephone number with the Reference Department staff, either in person or by telephoning 401-247-1920 ext 2.
- Call the Barrington library ahead of time for the next few weeks if you are attending an event or meeting there. Work on rebuilding the elevator hasput it out of service, which makes the second floor inaccessible except by the stairwell. Call 247-1920.
- The girls basketball team at Barrington High School visits Portsmouth High for a game at 7 pm.
- The girls’s swimming team at Barrington High School travels to CCRI-Lincoln for a match with Bay View Academy at 4 pm.
- The Barrington High School wrestling team travels to Providence Country Day School in East Providence for a tri-meet at 4:30 pm that also includes Burrillville High.