Here are a few things to know about today in and around Barrington:
- Sunny with some afternoon clouds and icy cold temperatures returning; the high will be around 20 degrees.
- The Barrington Education Foundation invites you to “Common Core Outreach,” a presentation by the RI Department of Education (RIDE) and the Barrington Public Schools, on the Common Core State Standards; it starts at 7 pm in the high school auditorium.
- “Mamma Mia!,” the second movie in the Barrington Public Library’s Musical Film Series, airs at 6:30 pm in the auditorium. The movie stars Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried and Colin Firth, and features 22 classic ABBA hits.
- Great Decisions, the annual foreign policy discussion series developed by the Foreign Policy Association, meets at Barrington Public Library at 10 am. Led by John Proctor Braica, the group meets biweekly through May 6 to discuss topics such as:Defense Technology, Israel and the U.S., Turkey's Challenges, Islamic Awakening, Energy Independence, Food and Climate, China's Foreign Policy, and U.S. Trade Policy. Register at the Reference Desk.
- A weekly “brown bag lunch” series for East Bay business women with a new speaker each week continues at noon at the East Bay Chamber of Commerce, 16 Cutler St., Warren. The women’s winter series is hosted by W.E.B.O.N.D. (Women's Empowerment and Business Owners Networking Development) and sponsored by RE/MAX River’s Edge. Admission is $5 a week.
- The boys’ and girls’ swimming teams at Barrington High School host the teams from North Kingstown High at the Bayside YMCA at 3:30 pm.
- The boys’ basketball team at Barrington High travels to Cumberland High for a game at 7 pm.