An outdoor yoga class starts Saturday, Sept. 1, at the Barrington Farmers’ Market and then runs each Saturday morning through Oct. 27.
Saturday’s first session is free to all skill levels. It will take place from 8:30 to 9:30 am behind the Barrington Congregational Church -- the White Church -- along the Barrington River.
The Yoga Loft in Warren will conduct the classes, according to Lisa Browning, farmers' market manager. Here’s what you need to know:
- All abilities and all ages are welcome and encouraged to come. (Yoga is a gentle practice for the body and mind -- it is simply slow stretching while in a meditative state. Your breathing is even and deep. Your mind is at rest.)
- Bring a mat, blanket, pillow, anything that will make you feel comfortable (and tarp if you have one in case the grass is wet).
- You can also do yoga from a lawn chair (please bring you own) if you are uncomfortable getting down on the ground. The instructor is trained to accommodate all skill levels and abilities in the class and will modify your yoga pose accordingly.
- Wear sunscreen, and bring sunglasses if you want.
- Bring a sweatshirt if it is cool.
- $10 per session after Saturday’s free class.
"When the classroom is outdoors, free of the mirrors and windows and designer clothes, the 'yoga scene' is left in the dust,” according to Kimblin, a CA yoga instructor. “The open space really expands everyone, and there's an instantaneous freedom you just can't replicate indoors.”