Village Center Businesses Reopen
A basement fire caused almost no damage to the Newport Creamery restaurant on County Road in Barrington late Monday night but it did close adjacent businesses Tuesday morning.
A basement fire found after closing Monday night caused almost no damage to the Newport Creamery restaurant in Barrington.
The fire did shut down all of the businesses in the Village Center along County Road until mid-Tuesday morning. But they were back open by late morning after inspectors restored electrical power to the building.
Barrington Fire Department Lt. Jason Fanion, the incident commander, said: "We received a 911 call for a reported basement fire from a worker (about 10 pm). When I arrived on scene there was heavy smoke on the entire first floor.
"We made our way to the basement and found a storage room in the middle of the basement.
"I called East Providence's Engine 2, Engine 4 and Ladder 1 to the fire scene to assist in extinguishment," he said. "I also had Seekonk's Engine 3 at the scene as a Rapid Intervention Team. Warren Engine 1 provided coverage at fire department headquarters."
Fanion said the health department should be there today along with the building and electrical inspectors.
"There was significant electrical fire damage so I'm not sure when the business in that plaza will be able to re-open," he said.
Fanion and Fire Chief Gerald Bessette assisted the State Fire Marshall in his investigation. An electrical short is believed to have sparked the fire.
Barrington firefighters extinguished the fire soon after it was reported, said Fanion. The extent of fire damage appears to be confined to the basement. But the first floor suffered some smoke damage.