Today is the final day to register for the 7th annual Great Day of Service sponsored by Beyond Our Walls – the Barrington-based interfaith organization – on Columbus Day, Oct. 10.
Great Day of Service brings hundreds of volunteers together from 9 am to 1 pm for work projects for nonprofit agencies throughout the state -- many in East Bay communities.
The volunteer effort, in fact, is now the largest volunteer event in the state, according to Liz Crawley, president of Beyond Our Walls.
“When we began this event in 2002, we had a vision that this would appeal to people of all ages and gather momentum,” Crawley said. “Many Rhode Island universities and colleges now require that their students participate in a day of community service each fall, and we hope our event has been a part in driving the addition of this new requirement.”
Click here to find the approximately 40 work projects listed on the Beyond Our Walls website. The 14 sites in Barrington are listed below:
- Barrington Beach (picking up litter)
- Barrington High School gardens (tending the garden)
- Barrington House (prepare and serve breakfast)
- Barrington Land Conservation Trust (Veterans Memorial Park trash pick-up and invasive plan removal)
- TAP-IN in Barrington (cleaning, painting walls, organizing)
- St. Luke’s School (packing items for Care for Soldiers)
- Carmelite Monastery (yard work and painting)
- Haines Memorial Park (pick up litter)
- Hampden Meadows Greenbelt (pick up litter)
- St. John’s Episcopal Church (lunches and cookie baking for Crossroads RI)
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes (prepare and load food for homeless)
- RI Blood Center at St. John’s Episcopal Church
- Temple Habonim (stuffed owl making for Hasbro Children’s Hospital)
- St. James Lutheran Church (knitting baby hats for Women and Infants Hospital)
Go to the registration page to sign up for locations still looking for volunteers. You can also find Great Day of Service Rhode Island on Facebook.