Host Cheap New Year's Eve Party
Five easy steps to throw an easy and inexpensive New Year's Eve party at home.
Want to avoid the hectic crowds this New Year's Eve? Or are you watching your pennies as you start a new year?
Invite a few close friends over and throw your own party at home. It's simple and cheap and still a lot of fun.
Here are five simple steps to having your own inexpensive New Year's Eve party:
1. Food. Start your party at 7 pm or later so your guests will eat dinner before they come over. That way, all you have to provide is snacks. Pick up a vegetable platter and some sweet treats for dessert. Want to make something yourself? Here is a quick an easy recipe for a snack everyone will love:
Ingredients you'll need for salsa dip:
- One jar of Salsa
- One package of cream cheese
- One package of shredded cheese (Mexican blend works well)
- Nacho Chips
Spread the whole package of cream cheese on the bottom of a deep plate. Pour a little more than half of the jar of salsa over the top and spread. Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese on top of the salsa. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese melts and serve immediately with nacho chips in a separate bowl.
2. Drinks. Buy some beer, wine and, of course, champagne to toast at midnight. Also provide some water and soda. Want to make a party punch? Here is a quick recipe for Rum Punch:
Combine over ice in a punch bowl:
- One quart orange juice
- One quart club soda
- Six ounces of lime juice
- One quart unsweetened pineapple juice
- One 750 milliliter white or gold label rum
3. Decor. Your house may already be decorated for the holiday, so you have something done already! Either way, buy some balloons, noisemakers for midnight, sprinkle some confetti on your counter tops and play some background music.
4. Games. After everyone arrives and socializes for an hour or two, play some games to liven up the party.
- The time capsule game. Ask each of your friends to bring something special to put in a time capsule. Store it away with all of your holiday decorations and share it with them next year.
- Pictionary and charades are always a hit at parties.
- Real Simple has some fun cards you can print out for free and use for a game.
5. Share your resolutions. Before the party is over, have your friends share their resolutions. That way, you can help them stick to it.